Today unionlearn and the Campaign for Learning are hosting a conference to celebrate the work unions and employers are doing to help build working communities.
Across the UK, unions, employers and the third sector are working together on skills to help people back into work; particularly young people not in work or education and the disadvantaged. Today we will be looking more at how unions, employers, civil society and community organisations can join together to help people into work.
10.00 - Welcome from Dr Mary Bousted, General Secretary of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers and Chair of the unionlearn Board
10.10 - Video message from John Hayes MP, Minister of State for Further Education, Skills and Lifelong Learning
10.15 - Rt Hon David Lammy MP
10.40 - Building New Routes for Communities: The voice of the union, employer and employee
With Huw Evans, Head of Customer Service, Community & Training at Willmott Dixon Partnerships, Steve Murphy, General Secretary at UCATT and Neil Vernon, UCATT ULR and Willmott Dixon Convenor. Chaired by Louise Minchin, broadcaster and journalist.
11.45 - Workshops
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Constructive engagement or good PR? led by Prospect
- Work readiness for ex-offenders led by Penrose
- Creative Collaboration: How to use social media for community cohesion led by Community Learning Partnership
- Working together to help young people into quality jobs led by Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust and unionlearn with the Southern and Eastern Region TUC
- WLAs and CLCs: Developing effective, engaged learning workplaces and partnerships with local communities led by The Johnston Partnership, NIACE and Workbase Training
13.40 - Welcome back from Frances O'Grady, TUC Deputy General Secretary and unionlearn Board member
13.45 - Rt Hon David Miliband MP, Chair of the Commission on Youth Unemployment
14.10 - Workshops
- Rising to the challenge of youth unemployment led by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Power in Partnership - Creating a shared vision to deliver employment for local communities led by Hammerson
- Opening doors to young people and the community led by Willmott Dixon Partnerships and UCATT
- Unions and employers working together to engage the community led by USDAW and Tesco
- The trade union role in reaching communities through learning and development led by Newcastle UNISON
- Access to learning in the community led by the Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union
15.35 - Q&A Panel
With Alasdair Downes, Director of Business Development at NCFE, David Hughes, Chief Executive at NIACE, Michelle Dawson, Community Manager at Hammerson, Richard Bolsin, General Secretary at Workers' Educational Association and Pat Stuart, Executive Member at Unite. Chaired by Louise Minchin.
16.10 - Gordon Taylor OBE, Chief Executive of the Professional Footballers
Briefing document (500 words) issued 12 Mar 2012